On Mon, Mar 30, 2015 at 1:01 PM, Garg, Pankaj
<pankaj.g...@caviumnetworks.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I’m benchmarking my small cluster with HDDs vs HDDs with SSD Journaling. I
> am using both RADOS bench and Block device (using fio) for testing.
>
> I am seeing significant Write performance improvements, as expected. I am
> however seeing the Reads coming out a bit slower on the SSD Journaling side.
> They are not terribly different, but sometimes 10% slower.
>
> Is that something other folks have also seen, or do I need some settings to
> be tuned properly? I’m wondering if accessing 2 drives for reads, adds
> latency and hence the throughput suffers.

You're not reading off of the journal in any case (it's only read on restart).

If I were to guess then the SSD journaling is just building up enough
dirty data ahead of the backing filesystem that if you do a read it
takes a little longer for the data to be readable through the local
filesystem. There have been a number of threads here about configuring
the journal which you might want to grab out of an archiving system
and look at. :)
-Greg