On Mon, Mar 30, 2015 at 8:02 PM, Lindsay Mathieson
<lindsay.mathie...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 31 Mar 2015 02:42:27 AM Kai KH Huang wrote:
>> Hi, all
>>     I have a two-node Ceph cluster, and both are monitor and osd. When
>> they're both up, osd are all up and in, everything is fine... almost:
>

> Two things.
>
> 1 -  You *really* need a min of three monitors. Ceph cannot form a quorum with
> just two monitors and you run a risk of split brain.

You can form quorums with an even number of monitors, and Ceph does so
— there's no risk of split brain.

The problem with 2 monitors is that a quorum is always 2 — which is
exactly what you're seeing right now. You can't run with only one
monitor up (assuming you have a non-zero number of them).

> 2 - You also probably have a min size of two set (the default). This means
> that you need a minimum  of two copies of each data object for writes to work.
> So with just two nodes, if one goes down you can't write to the other.

Also this.

> So:
> - Install a extra monitor node - it doesn't have to be powerful, we just use a
> Intel Celeron NUC for that.
>
> - reduce your minimum size to 1 (One).

Yep.
-Greg