Hi,

The cache doesn't give you any additional storage capacity as the cache can never store data, thats not on the tier below it (or store more writes than the underlying storage has room for).

As for how much you should go for... thats very much up to your use case. Try to come up with an estimate of how much data is frequently being accessed (this is the data most likely to remain in the cache). Then double that estimate - ALWAYS double your estimates ;) (this isn't Ceph-specific).

There might be additional magic, but in general the cache will store all the data that is being read from the underlying storage (in hopes of it being required again later) as well as any writes that may occur (if you don't configure the cache to be read-only that is). Do note that this also means that currently (afaik this is being worked on) pulling a backup of your RBDs will completely flush the cache. This only means that the files you'd want cached will have to be pulled back in after that and you may lose the performance advantage for a little while after each backup.

Hope that helps, dont hesitate with further inquiries!

Marc