ok, thanks. I wasn’t aware of this. Should this command fix everything or is do i need to delete cephfs and pools and start again:

> ceph osd tier cache-mode CachePool writeback

On 29/05/15 11:37, John Spray wrote:
On 29/05/2015 11:34, Peter Tiernan wrote:
ok, thats interesting. I had issues before this crash where files were being garbled. I followed what I thought was the correct procedure for erasure coded pool with cache tier:

> ceph osd pool create ECpool 800 800 erasure default
> ceph osd pool create CachePool 4096 4096
> ceph osd tier add ECpool CachePool
> ceph osd tier cache-mode CachePool readonly
> ceph osd tier set-overlay ECpool CachePool
> ceph osd pool create cephfs_metadata 4096 4096
> ceph fs new cephfs cephfs_metadata ECpool

Is my mistake the last command above? should the ceph fs new be given the CachePool and not the ECpool?

The problem is that you're creating a readonly cache tier instead of a writeback cache tier. CephFS needs a writeback cache tier for modifications and truncations.

Cheers,
John