Regarding using spinning disks for journals, before I was able to put SSDs
in my deployment I came up wit ha somewhat novel journal setup that gave my
cluster way more life than having all the journals on a single disk, or
having the journal on the disk with the OSD. I called it "interleaved
journals". Essentially offset the journal location by one disk, so in a 4
disk system:

OS disk sda has journal for sdb OSD
sdb OSD disk has journal for sdc OSD
sdc OSD disk has journal for sdd OSD
sdd OSD disk has no journal on it

This limited the contention substantially. When the cluster got busy enough
that multiple OSDs on the same machine were writing simultaneously it still
took a hit, but it was a big upgrade from the out of the box deployment. I
also tried leaving the OS drive out and only interleaving the journals on
the OSD drives, but that was slightly worse under load than this
configuration. It seems that the contention of the journals and OSDs was
stronger than the contention with logging.

QH