> Hi all,
> I am looking for a way to alleviate the overhead of RBD snapshots/clones for
> some time.
>
> In our scenario there are a few “master” volumes that contain production
> data, and are frequently snapshotted and cloned for dev/qa use. Those
> snapshots/clones live for a few days to a few weeks before they get dropped,
> and they sometimes grow very fast (databases, etc.).
>
> With the default 4MB object size there seems to be huge overhead involved
> with this, could someone give me some hints on how to solve that?

Do you have any statistics (or can you gather any statistics) that indicate the
percentage of block-size, zeroed extents within the clone images' RADOS
objects?  If there is a large amount of waste, it might be possible /
worthwhile to optimize how RBD handles copy-on-write operations against the
clone.

--

Jason Dillaman
Red Hat