This is handled by the filesystem usually (or not, depending on what filesystem
you use).
When you hit a bad block you should just replace the drive - in case of a
spinning disk the damage is likely going to spread, in case of flash device
this error should have been prevented by firmware in the first place so I’d
replace the drive rightaway and look at the rest of the same drives very
suspiciously...
But it is important to distinguish between manufacturing error and a mechanical
failure on spinners - manufacturing error can be remapped and the drive can
then work for years. But if you have an older drive that shows a bad block,
just replace it.

Filesystems handle this differently, some have a bad block maps and some don’t,
usually the error can be fixed on the drive itself by rewriting the offending
sector (so filesystems don’t need to blacklist the block anyway) and it should
do this on read as well. If the read fails you should run badblocks on the
drive a few times and start with a fresh filesystem if you intend to keep it in
the system.

Jan