Hi,

I need to verify in Ceph v9.0.2 if the kernel version of Ceph file
system supports ACLs and the libcephfs file system interface does not.
I am trying to have SAMBA, version 4.3.0rc1, support Windows ACLs
using "vfs objects = acl_xattr" with the SAMBA VFS Ceph file system
interface "vfs objects = ceph" and my tests are failing. If I use a
kernel mount of the same Ceph file system, it works.  Using the SAMBA
Ceph VFS interface with logging set to 3 in my smb.conf files shows
the following error when on my Windows AD server I try to "Disable
inheritance" of the SAMBA exported directory uu/home:

[2015/08/16 18:27:11.546307,  2]
../source3/smbd/posix_acls.c:3006(set_canon_ace_list)
  set_canon_ace_list: sys_acl_set_file type file failed for file
uu/home (Operation not supported).

This works using the same Ceph file system kernel mounted. It also
works with an XFS file system.

Doing some Googling I found this entry on the SAMBA email list:

https://lists.samba.org/archive/samba-technical/2015-March/106699.html

It states: libcephfs does not support ACL yet, so this patch adds ACL
callbacks that do nothing.

If ACL support is not in libcephfs, is there plans to add it, as the
SAMBA Ceph VFS interface without ACL support is severely limited in a
multi-user Windows environment.

Thanks,
Eric