Hi Everyone,

We have a Ceph pool that is entirely made up of Intel S3700/S3710
enterprise SSD's.

We are seeing some significant I/O delays on the disks causing a “SCSI Task
Abort” from the OS. This seems to be triggered by the drive receiving a
“Synchronize cache command”.

My current thinking is that setting nobarriers in XFS will stop the drive
receiving a sync command and therefore stop the I/O delay associated with
it.

In the XFS FAQ it looks like the recommendation is that if you have a
Battery Backed raid controller you should set nobarriers for performance
reasons.

Our LSI card doesn’t have battery backed cache as it’s configured in HBA
mode (IT) rather than Raid (IR). Our Intel s37xx SSD’s do have a capacitor
backed cache though.

So is it recommended that barriers are turned off as the drive has a safe
cache (I am confident that the cache will write out to disk on power
failure)?

Has anyone else encountered this issue?

Any info or suggestions about this would be appreciated.

Regards,

Richard