Hi Ceph,

TL;DR: If you have one day a week to work on the next Ceph stable releases [1]
your help would be most welcome.

The Ceph "Long Term Stable" (LTS) releases - currently firefly[3] and hammer[4]
- are used by individuals, non-profits, government agencies and companies for
their production Ceph clusters. They are also used when Ceph is integrated into
larger products, such as hardware appliances. Ceph packages for a range of
supported distribution are available at http://ceph.com/. Before the packages
for a new stable release are published, they are carefully tested for potential
regressions or upgrade problems. The Ceph project makes every effort to ensure
the packages published at http://ceph.com/ can be used and upgraded in
production.

The Stable release team[5] plays an essential role in the making of each Ceph
stable release. In addition to maintaining an inventory of bugfixes that are in
various stages of backporting[6], in most cases we do the actual backporting
ourselves[7]. We also run integration tests involving hundreds of machines[8]
and analyze the test results when they fail[9]. The developers of the bugfixes
only hear from us when we're stuck or to make the final decision whether to
merge a backport into the stable branch. Our process is well documented[1] and
participating is a relaxing experience. Every month or so we have the
satisfaction of seeing a new stable release published.

Nathan Cutler (SUSE) drives the next Firefly release[10] and Abhishek Varshney
(Flipkart) drives the next Hammer release. Loic Dachary (Red Hat), one of the
Ceph core developers, and Abhishek Lekshmanan (Reliance Jio Infocomm Ltd.)
oversee the process and provides help and advice when necessary. After these
two releases are published (which should happen in the next few weeks), the
roles will change and we would like to invite you to participate. If you're
employed by a company using Ceph or doing business with it, maybe your manager
could agree to give back to the Ceph community in this way. You can join at any
time and you will be mentored while the ongoing releases complete. When the
time comes (and if you feel ready), you will be offered a seat to drive the
next release.

Cheers

[1] Ceph Stable releases home page
http://tracker.ceph.com/projects/ceph-releases/wiki/HOWTO
[2] Ceph Releases timeline http://ceph.com/docs/master/releases/
[3] Firefly v0.80.10 http://ceph.com/docs/master/release-notes/#v0-80-10-firefly
[4] Hammer v0.94.3 http://ceph.com/docs/master/release-notes/#v0-94-3-hammer
[5] Stable release team http://tracker.ceph.com/projects/ceph-releases
[6] Hammer backports http://tracker.ceph.com/projects/ceph/issues?query_id=78
[7] Backporting commits
http://tracker.ceph.com/projects/ceph-releases/wiki/HOWTO_backport_commits
[8] Integration tests
http://tracker.ceph.com/projects/ceph-releases/wiki/HOWTO_run_integration_and_upgrade_tests
[9] Forensic analysis of integration tests
http://tracker.ceph.com/projects/ceph-releases/wiki/HOWTO_forensic_analysis_of_integration_and_upgrade_tests
[10] Firefly v0.80.11 http://tracker.ceph.com/issues/11644

--
Loïc Dachary, Artisan Logiciel Libre