On Thu, 15 Oct 2015, Francois Lafont wrote:
> Hi and thanks at all for this good news, ;)
>
> On 13/10/2015 23:01, Sage Weil wrote:
>
> >    #. Fix the data ownership during the upgrade.  This is the preferred
> > option,
> >       but is more work.  The process for each host would be to:
> >
> >       #. Upgrade the ceph package.  This creates the ceph user and group.
> > For
> >      example::
> >
> >        ceph-deploy install --stable infernalis HOST
> >
> >       #. Stop the daemon(s).::
> >
> >        service ceph stop           # fedora, centos, rhel, debian
> >        stop ceph-all               # ubuntu
> >
> >       #. Fix the ownership::
> >
> >        chown -R ceph:ceph /var/lib/ceph
> >
> >       #. Restart the daemon(s).::
> >
> >        start ceph-all                # ubuntu
> >        systemctl start ceph.target   # debian, centos, fedora, rhel
>
> With this (preferred) option, if I understand well, I should
> repeat these commands above host-by-host. Personally, my monitors
> are hosted in the OSD servers (I have no dedicated monitor server).
> So, with this option, I will have osd daemons upgraded before
> monitor daemons. Is it a problem?

No.  You can also chown -R /var/lib/ceph/mon and /var/lib/ceph/osd
separately.

> I ask the question because, during a migration to a new release,
> it's generally recommended to upgrade _all_ the monitors before
> to upgrade the first osd daemon.

Doing all the monitors is recommended, but not strictly required.

Also note that the chown on the OSD dirs can take a very long time
(hours).  I suspect we should revise the recommendation to do it for the
mons and not the osds... or at least give a better warning about how long
it takes.  (And I'm very interested in hearing what peoples' experiences
are here...)

Thanks!
sage