Hello,

Firstly, this is clearly a ceph-users question, don't cross post to
ceph-devel.

On Thu, 15 Oct 2015 09:29:03 +0800 hzwuli...@gmail.com wrote:

> Hi,
>
> It should be sure SSD Journal will improve the performance of IOPS. But
> unfortunately it's not in my test.
>
> I have two pools with the same number of osds:
> pool1, ssdj_sas:
> 9 osd servers, 8 OSDs(SAS) on every server
> Journal on SSD, one SSD disk for 4 SAS disks.

Details. All of them.
Specific HW (CPU, RAM, etc.) of these servers and the network, what type of
SSDs, HDDs, controllers.

> pool 2, sas:
> 9 osd servers, 8 OSDs(SAS) on every server
> Journal on SAS disk itself。

Is the HW identical to pool1 except for the journal placement?

> I use rbd to create a volume in pool1 and pool2 separately and use fio
> to test the rand write IOPS。here is the fio configuration:
>
> rw=randwrite
> ioengine=libaio
> direct=1
> iodepth=128
> bs=4k
> numjobs=1
>
> The result i got is:
> volume in pool1, about 5k
> volume in pool2, about 12k

Now this job will stress the CPUs quite a bit (which you should be able to
see with atop or the likes).

However if the HW is identical in both pools your SSD may be one of those
that perform abysmal with direct IO.

There are plenty of threads in the ML archives about this topic.

Christian

ch...@gol.com           Global OnLine Japan/Fusion Communications
http://www.gol.com/