On 21-10-15 15:30, Mark Nelson wrote:

> On 10/21/2015 01:59 AM, Wido den Hollander wrote:

>>> Hi Wido, thanks for the big writeup!  Did you guys happen to do any
>>> benchmarking?  I think Xiaoxi looked at flashcache a while back but had
>>> mixed results if I remember right.  It would be interesting to know how
>>> bcache is affecting performance in different scenarios.
>>>

>> No, we didn't do any benchmarking. Initially this cluster was build for
>> just the RADOS Gateway, so we went for 2Gbit (2x 1Gbit) per machine. 90%
>> is still Gbit networking and we are in the process of upgrading it all
>> to 10Gbit.
>>
>> Since the 1Gbit network latency is about 4 times higher then 10Gbit we
>> aren't really benchmarking the cluster.
>>
>> What counts for us most is that we can do recovery operations without
>> any slow requests.
>>
>> Before bcache we saw disks spike to 100% busy while a backfill was busy.
>> Now bcache smoothens this and we see peaks of maybe 70%, but that's it.
>
> In the testing I was doing to figure out our new lab hardware, I was
> seeing SSDs handle recovery dramatically better than spinning disks as
> well during cephtestrados runs.  It might be worth digging in to see
> what the IO patterns look like.  In the mean time though, it's very
> interesting that bcache helps in this case so much.  Good to know!

To add to this. We still had to enable hashpspools on a few pools, so we
did. The degradation went to 39% on the cluster and it has been
recovering for over 48 hours now.

Not a single slow request while we had the OSD complaint time set to 5
seconds. After setting this to 0.5 seconds we saw some slow requests,
but nothing dramatic.

For us bcache works really great with spinning disks.

Wido