Hello,

I have one ceph cluster that works fine and one that is not starting.
On VM cluster Ceph works OK. On my native hardware Ceph is not starting.
OS is same: an recently updated Ubuntu 14

Following the *exact* same procedure as the cluster that is working, as
the fetch/checkout/build/post-install-monitor is automated end-to-end,
I observe that Ceph is not writing a log file on the host that is not
starting.

What does that indicate? To save me from reading the source code, which
program in the Ceph application and at what juncture in the application's
start procedure does Ceph write to a log file?

Creation of monitor, post installation did not throw any errors.
The monitor appears to start without error or other complaints.

ceph-mon -i $HOSTNAME

ceph -s simply hangs with no output.

I have some experience (by now) removing all Ceph app data and
re-installing and performing some diags, but there is little for me to go
on,
based on what I have learned so far.

Any common or routine things to look at when Ceph is simply not starting?
I am reading one Ceph administrators troubleshooting page. Are there others?
Maybe a blog that I should know about?  :)

Looks like my next steps are related to using something called the monitor’s
admin socket
<http://docs.ceph.com/docs/v0.86/rados/troubleshooting/troubleshooting-mon/#using-the-monitor-s-admin-socket>
.

I will search and read previous threads, to find some direction..

thx in adv!
-az