Yes, you can still use snapshot2 to clone the new image while a flatten is
in-progress.  The parent/clone relationships form a chain, so when the flatten
completes image2 will be disassociated from its parent.  Also, when the flatten
completes, a notification will be sent (in the background) to all users of
image2 (and its descendants) that its parent has been removed.  If you had a
clone of image2 open at the time, the clone of image2 would then know it would
no longer need to access image1 since the link from image1 to image2 was
removed.

--

Jason Dillaman