Hi,

Running 'health detail' on our Ceph cluster this morning, I notice a warning about one of the pools having significantly more objects per placement group than the cluster average.

ceph> health detail
HEALTH_WARN pool cas_backup has too few pgs
pool cas_backup objects per pg (2849) is more than 26.1376 times cluster average (109)

For our cluster, I think this situation is more or less normal. The mentioned pool backs an rbd service (about 1TB of data), and we also have a number of tiny pools relating to a radosgw service. We only have three OSDs, so we've gone with 128 placement groups as recommended in the documentation.

I understand from http://tracker.ceph.com/issues/8103 that I could make the warning go away by adjusting the " mon pg warn max object skew" parameter upwards, or by setting it to zero to disable the warning altogether.

Is there a reason this would be a bad idea, and if so, is there a more sensible approach to dealing with the warning? I'd like to be able to actively monitor the cluster status, and would prefer to address this warning rather than ignore it, if possible.

Thanks,
--
Richard Gray