Hi Josh,

On Mon, Dec 7, 2015 at 6:50 PM, Josh Durgin <jdur...@redhat.com> wrote:

> On 12/07/2015 03:29 PM, Alex Gorbachev wrote:
>
>> When trying to merge two results of rbd export-diff, the following error
>> occurs:
>>
>> iss@lab2-b1:~$ rbd export-diff --from-snap autosnap120720151500
>> spin1/scrun1@autosnap120720151502 /data/volume1/scrun1-120720151502.bck
>>
>> iss@lab2-b1:~$ rbd export-diff --from-snap autosnap120720151504
>> spin1/scrun1@autosnap120720151504 /data/volume1/scrun1-120720151504.bck
>>
>> iss@lab2-b1:~$ rbd merge-diff /data/volume1/scrun1-120720151502.bck
>> /data/volume1/scrun1-120720151504.bck /data/volume1/mrg-scrun1-0204.bck
>>      Merging image diff: 11% complete...failed.
>> rbd: merge-diff error
>>
>> That's all the output and I have found this link
>> http://tracker.ceph.com/issues/12911 but not sure if the patch should
>> have already been in hammer or how to get it?
>>

> That patch fixed a bug that was only present after hammer, due to
> parallelizing export-diff. You're likely seeing a different (possibly
> new) issue.
>
> Unfortunately there's not much output we can enable for export-diff in
> hammer. Could you try running the command via gdb to figure out where
> and why it's failing? Make sure you have librbd-dbg installed, then
> send the output from gdb doing:
>
> gdb --args rbd merge-diff /data/volume1/scrun1-120720151502.bck \
> /data/volume1/scrun1-120720151504.bck /data/volume1/mrg-scrun1-0204.bck
> break rbd.cc:1931
> break rbd.cc:1935
> break rbd.cc:1967
> break rbd.cc:1985
> break rbd.cc:1999
> break rbd.cc:2008
> break rbd.cc:2021
> break rbd.cc:2053
> break rbd.cc:2098
> run
> # (it will run now, stopping when it hits the error)
> info locals

Will do - how does one load librbd-dbg?  I have the following on the system:

librbd-dev - RADOS block device client library (development files)
librbd1-dbg - debugging symbols for librbd1

is librbd1-dbg sufficient?

Also a question - the merge-diff really stitches the to diff files
together, not really merges, correct? For example, in the following
workflow:

export-diff from full image - 10GB
export-diff from snap1 - 2 GB
export-diff from snap2 - 1 GB

My resulting merge export file would be 13GB, correct?

Thank you,
Alex