On 20 December 2015 at 22:47, Yan, Zheng <uker...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> ---------------------------------------------------------------
> >>

> fio tests AIO performance in this case. cephfs does not handle AIO
> properly, AIO is actually SYNC IO. that's why cephfs is so slow in
> this case.
>
> Regards
> Yan, Zheng

OK, so i changed fio engine to 'sync' for the comparison of a single
underlying osd vs the cephfs.

the cephfs w/ sync is ~ 115iops / ~500KB/s.
the underlying osd storage w/ sync is 6500 iops/270MB/s.

I also don't think this explains why cephfs-fuse faster (~5x faster, but
still ~100x slower than it should be).

If i get rid of fio and use tried-and-true dd:
time dd if=/dev/zero of=rw.data bs=256k count=10000
on the underlying osd storage shows 426MB/s.
on the cephfs, it gets 694MB/s.

hmm.

so i guess my 'lag' issue of slow requests is unrelated and is my real
problem.