Everyone is right - sort of :)

It is that target_core_rbd module that I made that was rejected
upstream, along with modifications from SUSE which added persistent
reservations support. I also made some modifications to rbd so
target_core_rbd and krbd could share code. target_core_rbd uses rbd like
a lib. And it is also modifications to the targetcli related tool and
libs, so you can use them to control the new rbd backend. SUSE's lrbd
then handles setup/management of across multiple targets/gatways.

I was going to modify targetcli more and have the user just pass in the
rbd info there, but did not get finished. That is why in that suse stuff
you still make the krbd device like normal. You then pass that to the
target_core_rbd module with targetcli and that is how that module knows
about the rbd device.

The target_core_rbd module was rejected upstream, so I stopped
development and am working on the approach suggested by those reviewers
which instead of going from lio->target_core_rbd->krbd goes
lio->target_core_iblock->linux block layer->krbd. With this approach you
just use the normal old iblock driver and krbd and then I am modifying
them to just work and do the right thing.