Hi,
unfortunately I'm not a dev, so it's gonna be someone else ripping the journal
out and trying.
But I came to understand that getting rid of journal is not that easy of a task.

To me, more important would be if the devs understood what I'm trying to say :-)
because without that any new development will still try and accomodate whatever
the
original design provided, and in this way it will be inherently "flawed".

I never used RADOS directly (the closest I came was trying RadosGW to replace a
Swift cluster),
so it's possible someone build a custom app on top of that and it's using some
more powerful
features that RBD/S3 don't need. Is there such a project? Is someone actually
building on top of
librados, or is it in reality only tied to RBD/S3 as we know it?

If journal is really only for crash consitency in case of abrupt OSD failure,
then I can tell you right now
RBD doesn't need it. The tricky part comes when you have to compare different
data on OSDs after
a crash - from filesystem perspective anything goes, but we need to stick to
one "version" of the data
(or leave marked it as unused in a bitmap if one is to be used, who cares what
data was actually in there).
But no need to reiterate I guess, there are more scenarios I haven't thought of.

I'd like to see Ceph competetive to vSAN, ScaleIO or even some concoction that
I can brew using
NBD/DM/ZFS/whatever, and it's pretty obvious to me something isn't right in the
design - at least
for the "most important" workload which is RBD.

Jan