On Mon, Feb 1, 2016 at 7:33 AM, Syed Hussain <syed...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been working to develop a CEPH EC plgin for array type erasure code,
> for example
> RAID-DP (i.e RDP). Later I realized that I can't continue with (k+m) format
> in CEPH as
> like normal RS code if I want to save disk IO (or Read data).  Since I need
> to ready the individual symbols from each device rather that k symbols. One
> "chunk" from OSD will contain k-symbols
> in contiguous form. The same thing will be an issue for MSR(Minimum Storage
> Regeneration) Erasure code plugin.
>
> As a solution I thought to consider k*k data chunk and k*m coding chunk and
> use LRC kind of
> layering to pass the info (in plugin) which is data chunk and coding chunk.
> However, I've doubt if the decoding API will supply me the correct info on
> lost chunks to get the info on lost erasure coding nodes.
>
> Does anybody have good solution to this issue using CRUSH map?
> Could Pl. suggest any pointer or link that explain the above issue?

I'm not really familiar with some of the terminology you're using and
I suspect that's the case for most people on the list. Perhaps you
could expand on the exact requirements for the erasure code you're
trying to implement, and the issues with doing that through the
current EC plugin interface?
-Greg