Cullen,

We operate a cluster with 4 nodes, each has 2xE5-2630, 64gb ram, 10x4tb
spinners. We've recently replaced 2xm550 journals with a single p3700 nvme
drive per server and didn't see the performance gains we were hoping for.
After making the changes below we're now seeing significantly better 4k
performance. Unfortunately we pushed all of these at once so I wasn't able
to break down the performance improvement per option but you might want to
take a look at some of these.

before:
[cephuser@ceph03 ~]$ rados -p one bench 120 rand -t 64
Total time run:       120.001910
Total reads made:     1530642
Read size:            4096
Bandwidth (MB/sec):   49.8
Average IOPS:         12755
Stddev IOPS:          1272
Max IOPS:             14087
Min IOPS:             8165
Average Latency:      0.005
Max latency:          0.307
Min latency:          0.000411

after:
[cephuser@ceph03 ~]$ rados -p one bench 120 rand -t 64
Total time run:       120.004069
Total reads made:     4285054
Read size:            4096
Bandwidth (MB/sec):   139
Average IOPS:         35707
Stddev IOPS:          6282
Max IOPS:             40917
Min IOPS:             3815
Average Latency:      0.00178
Max latency:          1.73
Min latency:          0.000239

[bobr@bobr ~]$ diff ceph03-before ceph03-after
6,8c6,8
<     "debug_lockdep": "0\/1",
<     "debug_context": "0\/1",
<     "debug_crush": "1\/1",
---
>     "debug_lockdep": "0\/0",
>     "debug_context": "0\/0",
>     "debug_crush": "0\/0",
15,17c15,17
<     "debug_buffer": "0\/1",
<     "debug_timer": "0\/1",
<     "debug_filer": "0\/1",
---
>     "debug_buffer": "0\/0",
>     "debug_timer": "0\/0",
>     "debug_filer": "0\/0",
19,21c19,21
<     "debug_objecter": "0\/1",
<     "debug_rados": "0\/5",
<     "debug_rbd": "0\/5",
---
>     "debug_objecter": "0\/0",
>     "debug_rados": "0\/0",
>     "debug_rbd": "0\/0",
26c26
<     "debug_osd": "0\/5",
---
>     "debug_osd": "0\/0",
29c29
<     "debug_filestore": "1\/3",
---
>     "debug_filestore": "0\/0",
31,32c31,32
<     "debug_journal": "1\/3",
<     "debug_ms": "0\/5",
---
>     "debug_journal": "0\/0",
>     "debug_ms": "0\/0",
34c34
<     "debug_monc": "0\/10",
---
>     "debug_monc": "0\/0",
36,37c36,37
<     "debug_tp": "0\/5",
<     "debug_auth": "1\/5",
---
>     "debug_tp": "0\/0",
>     "debug_auth": "0\/0",
39,41c39,41
<     "debug_finisher": "1\/1",
<     "debug_heartbeatmap": "1\/5",
<     "debug_perfcounter": "1\/5",
---
>     "debug_finisher": "0\/0",
>     "debug_heartbeatmap": "0\/0",
>     "debug_perfcounter": "0\/0",
132c132
<     "ms_dispatch_throttle_bytes": "104857600",
---
>     "ms_dispatch_throttle_bytes": "1048576000",
329c329
<     "objecter_inflight_ops": "1024",
---
>     "objecter_inflight_ops": "10240",
506c506
<     "osd_op_threads": "4",
---
>     "osd_op_threads": "20",
510c510
<     "osd_disk_threads": "4",
---
>     "osd_disk_threads": "1",
697c697
<     "filestore_max_inline_xattr_size": "0",
---
>     "filestore_max_inline_xattr_size": "254",
701c701
<     "filestore_max_inline_xattrs": "0",
---
>     "filestore_max_inline_xattrs": "6",
708c708
<     "filestore_max_sync_interval": "5",
---
>     "filestore_max_sync_interval": "10",
721,724c721,724
<     "filestore_queue_max_ops": "1000",
<     "filestore_queue_max_bytes": "209715200",
<     "filestore_queue_committing_max_ops": "1000",
<     "filestore_queue_committing_max_bytes": "209715200",
---
>     "filestore_queue_max_ops": "500",
>     "filestore_queue_max_bytes": "1048576000",
>     "filestore_queue_committing_max_ops": "5000",
>     "filestore_queue_committing_max_bytes": "1048576000",
758,761c758,761
<     "journal_max_write_bytes": "10485760",
<     "journal_max_write_entries": "100",
<     "journal_queue_max_ops": "300",
<     "journal_queue_max_bytes": "33554432",
---
>     "journal_max_write_bytes": "1048576000",
>     "journal_max_write_entries": "1000",
>     "journal_queue_max_ops": "3000",
>     "journal_queue_max_bytes": "1048576000",

Good luck,
Bob

PS. thanks for ridewithgps :)