Only thing I will say to the OP, is that if you only need 1PB, then likely 4-5
of these will give you enough capacity. Personally I would prefer to spread the
capacity around more nodes. If you are doing anything serious with Ceph its
normally a good idea to try and make each node no more than 10% of total
capacity. Also with Ec pools you will be limited to the K+M combo's you can
achieve with smaller number of nodes.

> I would recommend a cache tier for sure if your data is busy for reads.
>
> Tyler Bishop
> Chief Technical Officer
> 513-299-7108 x10
>

> tyler.bis...@beyondhosting.net
>

> If you are not the intended recipient of this transmission you are notified
> that disclosing, copying, distributing or taking any action in reliance on the
> contents of this information is strictly prohibited.

The higher total k+m you go, you will require more CPU and sequential
performance will degrade slightly as the IO's are smaller going to the disks.
However larger numbers allow you to be more creative with failure scenarios and
"replication" efficiency.

> 2) Do I need to use Cache Tier for RadosGW or it is only needed for RBD? Is it

Only needed for RBD, but depending on workload it may still benefit. If you are
mostly doing large IO's, the gains will be a lot smaller.

> still an overall good practice to use Cache Tier for RadosGW?
> 3) What hardware is recommended for EC? I assume higher-clocked CPUs are
> needed? What about RAM?

Total Ghz is more important (ie ghzxcores) Go with the cheapest/power efficient
you can get. Aim for somewhere around 1Ghz per disk.

> 4) What SSDs for Ceph journals are the best?

Intel S3700 or P3700 (if you can stretch)

By all means explore other options, but you can't go wrong by buying these.
Think "You can't get fired for buying Cisco" quote!!!