Thanks, Alan.

Unfortunately, we currently don't have much flexibility in terms of the
hardware we can get so adding SSDs might not be possible in the near
future. What is the best practice here, allocating, for each OSD, one disk
just for data and one disk just for thd journal? Since the journals are
rather small (in our setup a 5GB partition is created on every disk),
wouldn't this a bit of a waste of disk space?

I was wondering if it would make sense to give each OSD one full 4TB disk
and use one of the 900 GB disks for all journals (12 journals in this
case). Would that cause even more contention since then different OSDs
would then be trying to write their journals to the same disk?