On Apr 29, 2016 11:46 PM, Gregory Farnum <gfar...@redhat.com> wrote:

> On Friday, April 29, 2016, Edward Huyer <erhvks@

On Friday, April 29, 2016, Edward Huyer <erh...@rit.edu<mailto:erh...@rit.edu>>
wrote:
This is more of a "why" than a "can I/should I" question.

The Ceph block device quickstart says (if I interpret it correctly) not to use
a physical machine as both a Ceph RBD client and a node for hosting OSDs or
other Ceph services.

Is this interpretation correct? If so, what is the reasoning? If not, what is
it actually saying?

It's important not to use the kernel rbd mount on a machine hosting OSDs
because if it runs like on memory and tries to flush out shift pages, but the
OSD needs to allocate memory to handle the write... You have a problem!

Hosting all userspace processes shouldn't be a problem, though, apart from the
usual resource contention problems of running hyper-converged.
-Greg

Thanks in advance.