You should be protected against single component failures, yes, that's the
point of journals.

It's important to ensure that on-disk volatile cache -- these days in the
8-128MB range -- remain turned off, otherwise it usually presents an
opportunity for data loss especially when power drops.  Disk manufactures tout
cache size but are quiet about the fact that it's always turned off by default
for just this reason.  Some LSI firmware and storcli versions have a bug that
silently turns this on.

RAID HBA's also introduce an opportunity for data loss, with their on-card
caches.  HBA cache not protected by a BBU / supercap has a similar
vulnerability, and in some cases are just plain flaky and rife with hassles.

I'm not immediately finding a definitive statement about the number of journal
writes required for ack.