Hello,

On Fri, 17 Jun 2016 09:10:10 +0200 Gandalf Corvotempesta wrote:

> As I'm planning a new cluster where to move all my virtual machine
> (currently on local storage on each hypervisor) i would like to evaluate
> the current IOPS on each server
>
> Knowing the current iops i'll be able to know how many iops i need on
> ceph
>
> I'm not an expert, do know know how to get this info from each virtual
> machine (Linux) or directly from each hypervisor (xenserver) ?

I'm unfamilar with Xen and Xenserver (the later doesn't support RBD, btw),
but if you can see all the combined activity of your VMs on your HW in the
dom0 like with KVM/qemu, a simple "iostat" or "iostat -x" will give you the
average IOPS of a device.
Same of course within a VM.

However that's the average, you're likely to have peaks much higher than
that.
For this you'll either have to collect and graph that data
(collectd/graphite, etc) and/or run something like atop during peak hours
and watch it or have it write logs with a high sample rate.
As in, atop can keep a log of all states, but the default interval of 10
minutes with Debian is likely too course to spot real peaks.
See the atop documentation.

Christian
ch...@gol.com           Global OnLine Japan/Rakuten Communications
http://www.gol.com/