Hello,

re-adding list.

On Tue, 28 Jun 2016 20:52:51 +0300 George Shuklin wrote:

> On 06/28/2016 06:46 PM, Christian Balzer wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > On Tue, 28 Jun 2016 18:23:02 +0300 George Shuklin wrote:
> >
> >> Hello.
> >>
> >> I'm testing different configuration for Ceph.
> > What version...
> jewel.

That should be pretty fast by itself, after that the optimizations
Alexandre mentioned.

> >> I found that osd are
> >> REALLY hungry for cpu.
> >>
> > They can be, but unlikely in your case.
> >
> >> I've created a tiny pool with size 1 with single OSD made of fast
> >> intel SSD (2500-series), on old dell server (R210),  Xeon E3-1230 V2
> >> @ 3.30GHz.
> >>
> > At a replication size of 1, a totally unrealistic test scenario.
> >
> > Ignoring that, an Intel SSD PRO 2500 is a consumer SSD and as such with
> > near certainty ill suited for usage with Ceph, especially when it
> > comes to journals.
> > Check/google the countless threads about what constitutes SSDs
> > suitable for Ceph usage.
>
> I understand that, but the point is that it was stuck at cpu, not IO on
> SSD (disk utilization was < 5% according to atop).

That makes little to no sense.

> >> I see some horribly-low performance and clear
> >> bottleneck at ceph-osd process: it consumes about 110% of CPU and
> >> giving
> > 110% actual CPU usage?
> > I'd wager a significant amount of that is IOWAIT...
> No, it was clear computation, not IO.
>
> It was somehow badly created OSD. I've recreated it
Any details on that?
So people in the future searching for a problem like this can avoid it.

>, and now I'm hitting
> limits of SSD performance with ~900 IOPS (with 99% utilization of SSD
> and 23% utilization of CPU by ceph-osd).

That ratio and performance sounds more like it, given your SSD model.

Christian
ch...@gol.com           Global OnLine Japan/Rakuten Communications
http://www.gol.com/