On Thursday, July 21, 2016, Mike Christie <mchri...@redhat.com> wrote:

> On 07/21/2016 11:41 AM, Mike Christie wrote:
> > On 07/20/2016 02:20 PM, Jake Young wrote:
> >>
> >> For starters, STGT doesn't implement VAAI properly and you will need to
> >> disable VAAI in ESXi.
> >>
> >> LIO does seem to implement VAAI properly, but performance is not nearly
> >> as good as STGT even with VAAI's benefits. The assumption for the cause
> >> is that LIO currently uses kernel rbd mapping and kernel rbd performance
> >> is not as good as librbd.
> >>
> >> I recently did a simple test of creating an 80GB eager zeroed disk with
> >> STGT (VAAI disabled, no rbd client cache) and LIO (VAAI enabled) and
> >> found that STGT was actually slightly faster.
> >>
> >> I think we're all holding our breath waiting for LIO librbd support via
> >> TCMU, which seems to be right around the corner. That solution will
> >
> > Is there a thread for that?

Not a thread, but it has come up a few times...  Maybe I'm getting ahead of
myself. I can't wait for this solution to be available.

> >> combine the performance benefits of librbd with the more feature-full
> >> LIO iSCSI interface. The lrbd configuration tool for LIO from SUSE is
> >> pretty cool and it makes configuring LIO easier than STGT.
> >>

> > I wrote a tcmu rbd driver a while back. It is based on gpl2 code, so
> > Andy could not take it into tcmu. I attached it here if you want to play
> > with it.
> >

> Here it is attached in patch form built against the current tcmu code.
>
> I have not tested it since March, so if there have been major changes to
> the tcmu code there might be issues.
>
> You should only use this for testing. I wrote it up in a night. I have
> done very little testing.
>
> It only supports READ, WRITE, DISCARD/UNMAP, TUR, MODE_SENSE/SELECT, and
> SYNC_CACHE.

Thanks for this!  I was able to patch and compile without errors.

I'm having trouble using it though. Does it require targetcli-fb?  This
should show up as a "User: rbd" backstore, right?