Hi Pierre,

On Mon, Dec 5, 2016 at 3:41 AM, Pierre BLONDEAU
<pierre.blond...@unicaen.fr> wrote:
> Le 05/12/2016 à 05:14, Alex Gorbachev a écrit :
>> Referencing
>> http://lists.ceph.com/pipermail/ceph-users-ceph.com/2015-July/003293.html
>>
>> When using --dmcrypt with ceph-deploy/ceph-disk, the journal device is
>> not allowed to be an existing partition. You have to specify the entire
>> block device, on which the tools create a partition equal to osd journal
>> size setting.
>>
>> However, in the case when an HDD fails and OSD is deleted and then
>> replaced with another HDD, I have not been able to find a way to reuse
>> the earlier journal partition. Ceph-deploy creates a new one, which can
>> lead into unpleasant situations on the SSD used for journaling.
>
> Hello,
>
> Remove the old journal partition ( ex : parted /dev/sdc rm 2 ).
> Ceph-deploy should reuse the space for the new one.

Unfortunately, it does not look like space is released or reused.
Here is the partition table following the above operation.
ceph-deploy just created a new partition (5) rather than reuse (2).

root@croc2:~# parted /dev/sdb p
Model: INTEL(R)  SSD 910 200GB (scsi)
Disk /dev/sdb: 200GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/4096B
Partition Table: gpt

Number  Start   End     Size    File system  Name          Flags
 1      1049kB  5370MB  5369MB               ceph journal
 3      10.7GB  16.1GB  5369MB               ceph journal
 4      16.1GB  21.5GB  5369MB               ceph journal
 5      21.5GB  26.8GB  5369MB               ceph journal

Best regards,
Alex