It would be fine to not support v1 image format at all.

But it would be probably friendly for users to provide them with more
understandable message when they face feature mismatch instead of just
displaying:

 * rbd: map failed: (6) No such device or address

For instance, show the following something in message:

 * Execute rbd feature disable <image-name>
deep-flatten,fast-diff,object-map,exclusive-lock

 or

 * Set rbd default features to 3

What do you think?
Does it make sense to you?