On Thu, Jan 19, 2017 at 1:28 PM, Nick Fisk <n...@fisk.me.uk> wrote:
> Hi Dan,
>
> I carried out some more testing after doubling the op threads, it may have
> had a small benefit as potentially some threads are
> available, but latency still sits more or less around the configured snap
> sleep time. Even more threads might help, but I suspect
> you are just lowering the chance of IO's that are stuck behind the sleep,
> rather than actually solving the problem.
>
> I'm guessing when the snap trimming was in disk thread, you wouldn't have
> noticed these sleeps, but now it's in the op thread it
> will just sit there holding up all IO and be a lot more noticable. It might
> be that this option shouldn't be used with Jewel+?

That's a good thought -- so we need confirmation which thread is doing
the snap trimming. I honestly can't figure it out from the code --
hopefully a dev could explain how it works.

Otherwise, I don't have much practical experience with snap trimming
in jewel yet -- our RBD cluster is still running 0.94.9.

Cheers, Dan