On Wed, 15 Feb 2017, Nick Fisk wrote:
> Just an update. I spoke to Sage today and the general consensus is that
> something like bcache or dmcache is probably the long term goal, but work
> needs to be done before its ready for prime time. The current tiering
> functionality won't be going away in the short term and not until there is a
> solid replacement with bcache/dmcache/whatever. But from the sounds of it,
> there won't be any core dev time allocated to it.

Quick clarification: I meant the cache tiering isn't going anywhere until
there is another solid *rados* tiering replacement.  The rados tiering
plans will keep metadata in the base pool but link to data in one or more
other (presumably colder) tiers (vs a sparse cache pool in front of the
base pool).

That is, you should consider rados tiering as totally orthogonal to
tiering devices beneath a single OSD with dm-cache/bcache/flashcache.

> I'm not really too bothered what the solution ends up being, but as we have
> discussed the flexibility to  shrink/grow the cache without having to
> rebuild all your nodes/OSD's is a major, almost essential, benefit to me.

Exactly.  The new rados tiering approach would still provide this.

> I've still got some ideas which I think can improve performance of the
> tiering functionality, but unsure as to whether I have the coding skills to
> pull it off. This might motivate me though to try and improve it in its
> current form.

FWIW the effectiveness of the existing rados cache tiering will also
improve significantly with the EC overwrite support.  Whether it is
removed as part of a new/different rados tiering function in rados is
really a function of how the code refactor works out and how difficult it
is to support vs the use cases it covers that the new tiering does not.

sage