>> a min_size of 1 is dangerous though because it means you are 1 hard disk
>> failure away from losing the objects within that placement group entirely. a
>> min_size of 2 is generally considered the minimum you want but many people
>> ignore that advice, some wish they hadn't.
>
> I admit I am having difficulty following why this is the case

I think we have a case of fervently agreeing.

Setting min_size on a specific pool to 1 to allow PG’s to heal is absolutely a
normal thing in certain circumstances, but it’s important to

1) Know _exactly_ what you’re doing, to which pool, and why
2) Do it very carefully, changing ‘size’ instead of ‘min_size’ on a busy pool
with a bunch of PG’s and data can be quite the rude awakening.
3) Most importantly, _only_ set it for the minimum time needed, with eyes
watching the healing, and set it back immediately after all affected PG’s have
peered and healed.

The danger, which I think is what Wes was getting at, is in leaving it set to 1
all the time, or forgetting to revert it.  THAT is, as we used to say, begging
to lose.

— aad