On Wed, Apr 19, 2017 at 4:33 PM, Gregory Farnum <gfar...@redhat.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 19, 2017 at 1:26 PM, Pavel Shub <pa...@citymaps.com> wrote:
>> Hey All,
>>
>> I'm running a test of bluestore in a small VM and seeing 2x overhead
>> for each object in cephfs. Here's the output of df detail
>> https://gist.github.com/pavel-citymaps/868a7c4b1c43cea9ab86cdf2e79198ee
>>
>> This is on a VM with all daemons & 20gb disk, all pools are of size 1.
>> Is this the expected amount of overhead per object? Is there anyway to
>> tweak bluestore settings?
>
> You're going to need to be clearer about what you mean by 2x overhead.
> Bluestore itself has a minimum size beneath which it will journal
> objects and then copy them into place, which might be considered 2x
> overhead. If you're talking about total number of cluster-wide disk
> ops, there's also a CephFS log which journals metadata updates that
> get flushed out to backing objects later, which might be considered 2x
> overhead. But I don't know what you mean just based on a ceph df. :)
> -Greg

Sorry, I meant the disk space taken up by the files. I have a dataset
with lots of small files, my sample set 2.5gb in total size and 5gb on
a filesystem with a 4kb block size. When put the files inside ceph
bluestore they take up 6gb. Does bluestore have an internal block
size? Is there a way to adjust it? For comparison I created a
filestore OSD with 2kb block size and the data took up only 4.5gb.

- Pavel