At a meeting with Intel folks a while back, they discussed the idea that future
large devices — which we’re starting to now see — would achieve greater
*effective* durability via a lower cost/GB that encourages the use of larger
than needed devices.  Which is a sort of overprovisioning, just more visible to
the end user than conventional behind-the-scenes overprovisioning.

With very dense OSD servers, larger but faster devices have a certain appeal
for greater ratios, especially if PCI slots are limited.  The failure domain of
course is still a consideration.