On 16-6-2017 20:23, Alfredo Deza wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 16, 2017 at 2:11 PM, Warren Wang - ISD
> <warren.w...@walmart.com> wrote:
>> I would prefer that this is something more generic, to possibly support
>> other backends one day, like ceph-volume. Creating one tool per backend
>> seems silly.
>>
>> Also, ceph-lvm seems to imply that ceph itself has something to do with lvm,
>> which it really doesn’t. This is simply to deal with the underlying disk. If
>> there’s resistance to something more generic like ceph-volume, then it
>> should at least be called something like ceph-disk-lvm.
>
> Sage, you had mentioned the need for "composable" tools for this, and
> I think that if we go with `ceph-volume` we could allow plugins for
> each strategy. We are starting with `lvm` support so that would look
> like: `ceph-volume lvm`
>
> The `lvm` functionality could be implemented as a plugin itself, and
> when we start working with supporting regular disks, then `ceph-volume
> disk` can come along, etc...
>
> It would also open the door for anyone to be able to write a plugin to
> `ceph-volume` to implement their own logic, while at the same time
> re-using most of what we are implementing today: logging, reporting,
> systemd support, OSD metadata, etc...
>
> If we were to separate these into single-purpose tools, all those
> would need to be re-done.

Looking at my current work I did on ceph-disk for FreeBSD, it starts to
look like something like `ceph-volume zfs`. It would make porting a lot
more manageble. But the composable decomposition needs to be at a level
high enough that as little as possible of linux-isms seep through.
The one that springs to mind in this is: encryption.

So +1

--WjW