On 17-06-20 02:44 PM, Richard Hesketh wrote:
Is there a way, either by individual PG or by OSD, I can prioritise
backfill/recovery on a set of PGs which are currently particularly important to
me?

For context, I am replacing disks in a 5-node Jewel cluster, on a node-by-node
basis - mark out the OSDs on a node, wait for them to clear, replace OSDs,
bring up and in, mark out the OSDs on the next set, etc. I've done my first
node, but the significant CRUSH map changes means most of my data is moving. I
only currently care about the PGs on my next set of OSDs to replace - the other
remapped PGs I don't care about settling because they're only going to end up
moving around again after I do the next set of disks. I do want the PGs
specifically on the OSDs I am about to replace to backfill because I don't want
to compromise data integrity by downing them while they host active PGs. If I
could specifically prioritise the backfill on those PGs/OSDs, I could get on
with replacing disks without worrying about causing degraded PGs.

I'm in a situation right now where there is merely a couple of dozen PGs on the
disks I want to replace, which are all remapped and waiting to backfill - but
there are 2200 other PGs also waiting to backfill because they've moved around
too, and it's extremely frustating to be sat waiting to see when the ones I
care about will finally be handled so I can get on with replacing those disks.

You could prioritize recovery on pool if that would work for you (as others wrote), or +1 this PR: https://github.com/ceph/ceph/pull/13723 (it's bit outdated as I'm constantly low on time, but I promise to push it forward!).

--
Piotr Dałek
piotr.da...@corp.ovh.com