On 24-6-2017 05:30, Christian Wuerdig wrote:
> The general advice floating around is that your want CPUs with high
> clock speeds rather than more cores to reduce latency and increase IOPS
> for SSD setups (see also
> http://www.sys-pro.co.uk/ceph-storage-fast-cpus-ssd-performance/) So
> something like a E5-2667V4 might bring better results in that situation.
> Also there was some talk about disabling the processor C states in order
> to bring latency down (something like this should be easy to test:
> https://stackoverflow.com/a/22482722/220986)

I would be very careful to call this a general advice...

Although the article is interesting, it is rather single sided.

The only thing is shows that there is a lineair relation between
clockspeed and write or read speeds???
The article is rather vague on how and what is actually tested.

By just running a single OSD with no replication a lot of the
functionality is left out of the equation.
Nobody is running just 1 osD on a box in a normal cluster host.

Not using a serious SSD is another source of noise on the conclusion.
More Queue depth can/will certainly have impact on concurrency.

I would call this an observation, and nothing more.

--WjW