Thank you Richard, that mostly worked for me.

But I notice that when I switch it from FastCGI to Civitweb that
the S3-style subdomains (e.g., bucket-name.domain-name.com) stops working
and I haven't been able to figure out why on my own.

- ceph.conf excerpt:
    [client.radosgw.gateway]
    host = nuc1
    keyring = /etc/ceph/ceph.client.radosgw.keyring
    log file = /var/log/ceph/client.radosgw.gateway.log
    rgw dns name = s3.e-prepared.com
    # FASTCGI SETTINGS
    rgw socket path = ""
    rgw print continue = false
    rgw frontends = fastcgi socket_port=9000 socket_host=0.0.0.0
    # CIVETWEB SETTINGS
    #rgw frontends = civetweb port=7480

- httpd.conf excerpt
    <VirtualHost *:80>
        ServerName s3.e-prepared.com
        ServerAlias *.s3.e-prepared.com
        ServerAlias s3.amazonaws.com
        ServerAlias *.amazonaws.com
        DocumentRoot /srv/www/html/e-prepared_com/s3
        ErrorLog /var/log/httpd/rgw_error.log
        CustomLog /var/log/httpd/rgw_access.log combined
        # LogLevel debug
        RewriteEngine On
        RewriteRule .* - [E=HTTP_AUTHORIZATION:%{HTTP:Authorization},L]
        SetEnv proxy-nokeepalive 1
        # FASTCGI SETTINGS
        ProxyPass / fcgi://localhost:9000/
        # CIVETWEB SETTINGS
        #ProxyPass / http://localhost:7480/
        #ProxyPassReverse / http://localhost:7480/
    </VirtualHost>

With the above FastCGI settings, S3-style subdomains work. Eg.
[root@nuc1 ~]# curl http://roger-public.s3.e-prepared.com/index.html
<!DOCTYPE html>

But when I comment out the fastcgi settings, uncomment the civetweb
settings, and restart ceph-radosgw and http (and disable selinux), I get
output like this:
[root@nuc1 ~]# curl http://roger-public.s3.e-prepared.com/index.html
<?xml version="1.0"
encoding="UTF-8"?><Error><Code>NoSuchBucket</Code><BucketName>index.html</BucketName><RequestId>tx000000000000000000003-00596536b0-1465f8-default</RequestId><HostId>1465f8-default-default</HostId></Error>

However I can still access the bucket the old-fashioned way (e.g.,
domain-name.com/bucket-name) even with Civetweb running:
[root@nuc1 ~]# curl http://s3.e-prepared.com/roger-public/index.html
<!DOCTYPE html>

Thoughts, anyone?

Roger