On Wed, 12 Jul 2017, Patrick Donnelly wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 12, 2017 at 11:29 AM, Sage Weil <sw...@redhat.com> wrote:
> > In the meantime, we can also avoid making the problem worse by requiring
> > that all pull requests include any relevant documentation updates.  This
> > means (1) helping educate contributors that doc updates are needed, (2)
> > helping maintainers and reviewers remember that doc updates are part of
> > the merge criteria (it will likely take a bit of time before this is
> > second nature), and (3) generally inducing developers to become aware of
> > the documentation that exists so that they know what needs to be updated
> > when they make a change.
>
> There was a joke to add a bot which automatically fails PRs for no
> documentation but I think there is an way to make that work in a
> reasonable way. Perhaps the bot could simply comment on all PRs
> touching src/ that documentation is required and where to look, and
> then fails a doc check. A developer must comment on the PR to say it
> passes documentation requirements before the bot changes the check to
> pass.
>
> This addresses all three points in an automatic way.

This is a great idea.  Greg brought up the idea of a bot but we
didn't think of a "docs ok"-type comment to make it happy.

Anybody interested in coding it up?

Piotr makes a good point about config_opts.h, although that problem is
about to go away (or at least change) with John's config update:

        https://github.com/ceph/ceph/pull/16211

(Config options will be documented in the code where the schema is
defined, and docs.ceph.com .rst will eventually be auto-generated from
that.)

sage