On 07/17/2017 11:22 AM, Michael Andersen wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I recently upgraded two separate ceph clusters from Jewel to Luminous.
> (OS is Ubuntu xenial) Everything went smoothly except on one of the
> monitors in each cluster I had a problem shutting down/starting up. It
> seems the systemd dependencies are messed up. I get:
>
> systemd[1]: ceph-osd.target: Found ordering cycle on ceph-osd.target/start
> systemd[1]: ceph-osd.target: Found dependency on ceph-osd@16.service/start
> systemd[1]: ceph-osd.target: Found dependency on ceph-mon.target/start
> systemd[1]: ceph-osd.target: Found dependency on ceph.target/start
> systemd[1]: ceph-osd.target: Found dependency on ceph-osd.target/start
>
> Has anyone seen this? I ignored the first time this happened (and fixed
> it by uninstalling, purging and reinstalling ceph on that one node) but
> now it has happened while upgrading a completely different cluster and
> this one would be quite a pain to uninstall/reinstall ceph on. Any ideas?

I hit the same thing on SUSE Linux, but it should be fixed now, by
https://github.com/ceph/ceph/pull/15835/commits/357dfa5954.  This went
into the Luminous branch on July 3, so if your Luminous build is older
than that, you won't have this fix yet.  See the above commit message
for the full description, but TL;DR: having a MONs colocated with OSDs
will sometimes (but not every time) confuse systemd, due to the various
target files specifying dependencies between each other, without
specifying explicit ordering.

Regards,

Tim
--