From: ceph-users [mailto:ceph-users-boun...@lists.ceph.com] On Behalf Of
Osama Hasebou
Sent: 14 August 2017 12:27
To: ceph-users <ceph-users@lists.ceph.com>
Subject: [ceph-users] VMware + Ceph using NFS sync/async ?

Hi Everyone,

We started testing the idea of using Ceph storage with VMware, the idea was
to provide Ceph storage through open stack to VMware, by creating a virtual
machine coming from Ceph + Openstack , which acts as an NFS gateway, then
mount that storage on top of VMware cluster.

When mounting the NFS exports using the sync option, we noticed a huge
degradation in performance which makes it very slow to use it in production,
the async option makes it much better but then there is the risk of it being
risky that in case a failure shall happen, some data might be lost in that
Scenario.

Now I understand that some people in the ceph community are using Ceph with
VMware using NFS gateways, so if you can kindly shed some light on your
experience, and if you do use it in production purpose, that would be great
and how did you mitigate the sync/async options and keep write performance.

Thanks you!!!

Regards,
Ossi

Hi Osama,

This is a known problem with many software defined storage stacks, but
potentially slightly worse with Ceph due to extra overheads. Sync writes
have to wait until all copies of the data are written to disk by the OSD and
acknowledged back to the client. The extra network hops for replication and
NFS gateways add significant latency which impacts the time it takes to
carry out small writes. The Ceph code also takes time to process each IO
request.

What particular operations are you finding slow? Storage vmotions are just
bad, and I don't think there is much that can be done about them as they are
split into lots of 64kb IO's.

One thing you can try is to force the CPU's on your OSD nodes to run at C1
cstate and force their minimum frequency to 100%. This can have quite a
large impact on latency. Also you don't specify your network, but 10G is a
must.

Nick