On Wed, Sep 6, 2017 at 11:23 AM Sage Weil <sw...@redhat.com> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> Traditionally, we have done a major named "stable" release twice a year,
> and every other such release has been an "LTS" release, with fixes
> backported for 1-2 years.
>
> With kraken and luminous we missed our schedule by a lot: instead of
> releasing in October and April we released in January and August.
>
> A few observations:
>
> - Not a lot of people seem to run the "odd" releases (e.g., infernalis,
> kraken).  This limits the value of actually making them.  It also means
> that those who *do* run them are running riskier code (fewer users -> more
> bugs).
>
> - The more recent requirement that upgrading clusters must make a stop at
> each LTS (e.g., hammer -> luminous not supported, must go hammer -> jewel
> -> lumninous) has been hugely helpful on the development side by reducing
> the amount of cross-version compatibility code to maintain and reducing
> the number of upgrade combinations to test.
>
> - When we try to do a time-based "train" release cadence, there always
> seems to be some "must-have" thing that delays the release a bit.  This
> doesn't happen as much with the odd releases, but it definitely happens
> with the LTS releases.  When the next LTS is a year away, it is hard to
> suck it up and wait that long.
>
> A couple of options:
>
> * Keep even/odd pattern, and continue being flexible with release dates
>
>   + flexible
>   - unpredictable
>   - odd releases of dubious value
>
> * Keep even/odd pattern, but force a 'train' model with a more regular
> cadence
>
>   + predictable schedule
>   - some features will miss the target and be delayed a year
>
> * Drop the odd releases but change nothing else (i.e., 12-month release
> cadence)
>
>   + eliminate the confusing odd releases with dubious value
>
> * Drop the odd releases, and aim for a ~9 month cadence. This splits the
> difference between the current even/odd pattern we've been doing.
>
>   + eliminate the confusing odd releases with dubious value
>   + waiting for the next release isn't quite as bad
>   - required upgrades every 9 months instead of ever 12 months
>
> * Drop the odd releases, but relax the "must upgrade through every LTS" to
> allow upgrades across 2 versions (e.g., luminous -> mimic or luminous ->
> nautilus).  Shorten release cycle (~6-9 months).
>
>   + more flexibility for users
>   + downstreams have greater choice in adopting an upstrema release
>   - more LTS branches to maintain
>   - more upgrade paths to consider
>
> Other options we should consider?  Other thoughts?

As a mission critical system user, I am in favor of dropping odd releases
and going to a 9 month cycle.  We never run the odd releases as too risky.
A good deal if functionality comes in updates, and usually the Ceph team
brings them in gently, with the more experimental features off by default.

I suspect the 9 month even cycle will also make it easier to perform more
incremental upgrades, i.e. small jumps rather than big leaps.

> Thanks!
> sage

Alex Gorbachev
Storcium