I asked the same question a couple of weeks ago. No response I got contradicted the documentation but nobody actively confirmed the documentation was correct on this subject, either; my end state was that I was relatively confident I wasn't making some horrible mistake by simply specifying a big DB partition and letting bluestore work itself out (in my case, I've just got HDDs and SSDs that were journals under filestore), but I could not be sure there wasn't some sort of performance tuning I was missing out on by not specifying them separately.

Rich