>> Kernels on client is 4.4.0-93 and on ceph node are 4.4.0-96
>>
>> What is exactly an older kernel client ? 4.4 is old ?
>
> See
> http://docs.ceph.com/docs/master/cephfs/best-practices/#which-kernel-version
>
> If you're on Ubuntu Xenial I would advise to use
> "linux-generic-hwe-16.04". Currently gives you 4.10.0-* kernel.

OK, but I still cannot set caps without read access to "/" on cephfs volume, is
there something else I must do ?

# ceph auth get-or-create client.foo mon "allow r" osd "allow rw
pool=cephfs_data" mds "allow rw path=/foo"
Error EINVAL: key for client.foo exists but cap mds does not match

# ceph fs authorize cephfs client.foo /foo rw
Error EINVAL: key for client.foo exists but cap mds does not match

Thanks,

--
Yoann Moulin
EPFL IC-IT