"apt-cache policy" shows you the different versions that are possible to install, and the prioritized order they have. the highest version will normally be installed unless priorities are changed.

example:
apt-cache policy ceph
ceph:
  Installed: 12.2.1-1~bpo90+1
  Candidate: 12.2.1-1~bpo90+1
  Version table:
 *** 12.2.1-1~bpo90+1 500
        500 http://download.ceph.com/debian-luminous stretch/main amd64 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
     10.2.5-7.2 500
        500 http://deb.debian.org/debian stretch/main amd64 Packages

apt-get install ceph=$version will install that spesific version.

example in my  case:
apt install ceph=10.2.5-7.2

will downgrade to the previous version.

kind regards