Hi list,

some of you also use ceph as storage backend for OpenStack, so maybe you can help me out.

Last week we upgraded our Mitaka cloud to Ocata (via Newton, of course), and also upgraded the cloud nodes from openSUSE Leap 42.1 to Leap 42.3. There were some issues as expected, but no showstoppers (luckily).

So the cloud is up and working again, but our monitoring shows a high CPU load for cinder-volume service on the control node, also visible in a tcpdump showing lots of connections to the ceph nodes. But since all the clients are on the compute nodes we are wondering what cinder actually does on the control node except initializing the connections of course, but this should only be relevant for new volumes. The data sent to the ceph nodes contains all these rbd_header files, e.g. rb.0.24d5b04[...]. I expect this kind of traffic on the compute nodes, of course, but why does the control node also establish so many connections?

I'd appreciate any insight!

Regards,
Eugen

--
Eugen Block                             voice   : +49-40-559 51 75
NDE Netzdesign und -entwicklung AG      fax     : +49-40-559 51 77

        Vorsitzende des Aufsichtsrates: Angelika Mozdzen
          Sitz und Registergericht: Hamburg, HRB 90934
                  Vorstand: Jens-U. Mozdzen
                   USt-IdNr. DE 814 013 983