Hello,
I am having trouble setting up a cluster using Ceph Luminous (version 12.2.1)
on Debian 9, kernel 4.9.51.  I was able to create and configure the cluster
successfully using Jewel, but I would prefer using the latest LTS version.
Everything works until I run ceph-deploy mon create-initial, which terminates
with the following output:
[test-mon3][DEBUG ] connection detected need for sudo[test-mon3][DEBUG ]
connected to host: test-mon3 [test-mon3][DEBUG ] detect platform information
from remote host[test-mon3][DEBUG ] detect machine type[test-mon3][DEBUG ] find
the location of an executable[test-mon3][INFO  ] Running command: sudo ceph
--cluster=ceph --admin-daemon /var/run/ceph/ceph-mon.test-mon3.asok
mon_status[ceph_deploy.mon][WARNIN] mon.test-mon3 monitor is not yet in quorum,
tries left: 5[ceph_deploy.mon][WARNIN] waiting 5 seconds before
retrying[test-mon3][INFO  ] Running command: sudo ceph --cluster=ceph
--admin-daemon /var/run/ceph/ceph-mon.test-mon3.asok
mon_status[ceph_deploy.mon][WARNIN] mon.test-mon3 monitor is not yet in quorum,
tries left: 4[ceph_deploy.mon][WARNIN] waiting 10 seconds before
retrying[test-mon3][INFO  ] Running command: sudo ceph --cluster=ceph
--admin-daemon /var/run/ceph/ceph-mon.test-mon3.asok
mon_status[ceph_deploy.mon][WARNIN] mon.test-mon3 monitor is not yet in quorum,
tries left: 3[ceph_deploy.mon][WARNIN] waiting 10 seconds before
retrying[test-mon3][INFO  ] Running command: sudo ceph --cluster=ceph
--admin-daemon /var/run/ceph/ceph-mon.test-mon3.asok
mon_status[ceph_deploy.mon][WARNIN] mon.test-mon3 monitor is not yet in quorum,
tries left: 2[ceph_deploy.mon][WARNIN] waiting 15 seconds before
retrying[test-mon3][INFO  ] Running command: sudo ceph --cluster=ceph
--admin-daemon /var/run/ceph/ceph-mon.test-mon3.asok
mon_status[ceph_deploy.mon][WARNIN] mon.test-mon3 monitor is not yet in quorum,
tries left: 1[ceph_deploy.mon][WARNIN] waiting 20 seconds before
retrying[ceph_deploy.mon][ERROR ] Some monitors have still not reached
quorum:[ceph_deploy.mon][ERROR ] test-mon1[ceph_deploy.mon][ERROR ]
test-mon2[ceph_deploy.mon][ERROR ] test-mon3
This same setup (three initial monitors) worked correctly with Jewel. In fact,
I ran into these same basic symptoms with Jewel until I used three monitors
(with one or two monitors, create-initial always timed out before reaching
quorum).
I've been following the quick-start guides for Luminous, here:  Storage Cluster
Quick Start — Ceph Documentation  I have already gone through the Pre-Flight
Checklist.  I am planning to use XFS, but haven't gotten that far in the
checklist since create-initial is failing.
Has anyone successfully set up a Luminous cluster on Debian 9?  Are there any
special considerations for Debian 9 that I need to be aware of (besides kernel
version) to get a Luminous cluster to reach quorum?
Thanks!

|  |
Storage Cluster Quick Start — Ceph Documentation