On Wed, Nov 15, 2017 at 6:50 AM David Turner <drakonst...@gmail.com> wrote:

> 2 weeks later and things are still deleting, but getting really close to
> being done.  I tried to use ceph-objectstore-tool to remove one of the
> PGs.  I only tested on 1 PG on 1 OSD, but it's doing something really
> weird.  While it was running, my connection to the DC reset and the command
> died.  Now when I try to run the tool it segfaults and just running the OSD
> it doesn't try to delete the data.  The data in this PG does not matter and
> I figure the worst case scenario is that it just sits there taking up 200GB
> until I redeploy the OSD.
>
> However, I like to learn things about Ceph.  Is there anyone with any
> insight to what is happening with this PG?

Well, this isn't supposed to happen, but backtraces like that generally
mean the PG is trying to load an OSDMap that has already been trimmed.

If I were to guess, in this case enough of the PG metadata got cleaned up
that the OSD no longer knows it's there, and it removed the maps. But
trying to remove the PG is pulling them in.
Or, alternatively, there's an issue with removing PGs that have lost their
metadata and it's trying to pull in map epoch 0 or something...
I'd stick a bug in the tracker in case it comes up in the future or
somebody takes a fancy to it. :)
-Greg